Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Dress Me Up, Dress Me Down


I'm not a great shopper in terms of clothing, but I do love design. Call me cheap, but I really hate paying retail price for clothing. It doesn't matter if it's high-end or H&M, I will dig through the sales rack. This probably goes against the grain since I will pay an obnoxious amount of money for handbags, but that's because a bag could last me forever. Clothes? Not so much. A few washes here, a snag there, and then it needs to be replaced. So what can possible change my tune? Marimekko, that's what.

So this isn't exactly Newbury Street, but out in Cambridge, a Marimekko concept store has opened up for business. Based out of Finland, Marimekko is branching out around the world to spread their high-concept Finnish designs.
Run by independent retailers, Marimekko concept stores are shops that sell exclusively Marimekko products and carry a comprehensive selection of merchandise from all the different Marimekko lines: clothing, interior decoration and bags. Developing and anchoring the concept store idea based on Marimekko’s lifestyle thinking represents an important part in Marimekko’s internationalisation strategy.
While browsing their online catalog, one designer stood out in terms of design. Samu-Jussi Koski's classic and clean lines are at once modern, but if paired with the right accessories, are also quite whimsical. His current collection was influenced by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren's novel "Madicken," set in the 1920s, and Mai Farrow's film roles from the 1960s. Both influences are obvious, from the silhouettes of the billowy dresses to the fun, colorful prints.

I might even consider paying retail for design like this...!

Check out the collection at Marimekko Cambridge

No comments: