Friday, October 12, 2007

Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize!!!!!

I know that this is supposed to be a forum about the more light-hearted things in life, such as fashion, art, and books, and maybe you really don't care about my political stance, but I can't contain my glee. Al Gore is sharing the Nobel Peace Prize with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)! Congrats to them all for bringing such wide attention to the effects of global warming and climate change!

His film, "An Inconvenient Truth," really moved me, and I am now more aware of the carbon footprint I leave behind. Even talking with friends, we discussed in what ways we can try to help the environment. As this world is so precious, we really need to do more to preserve it for the future. When there's a heatwave in the middle of October in New England, you know that the world is changing, and not for the better.

Anywho, I've been plotting for several years now to think of a way to contribute, maybe create my own organization to help with the cause. I have this idea, but it hasn't come to a full fruition yet, so in the meanwhile, I will continue to help by doing other little things.

My interest in the environment doesn't lie with just climate change, but the effects of a lot of human manipulation and intervention that affects every step of the ecological chain. This is why I'm currently reading Alan Weisman's "The World Without Us." I want to learn more about how far we've affected the planet, and if we all disappeared, how quickly will Mother Nature take over. It's all about balance in the world, and the work that Gore has done really shows that whatever needs to be done should be done now.

Again, congrats, congrats. I'm so happy!!! (Can you tell I'm a big supporter? :P)

No comments: